Saturday, November 14, 2009

How often do you need to water outside herb plants?

I've read that they need good drainage, I think they have that, but how often do I water them? Every day, only when they look dry, etc.? The herbs I have are:





Sweet basil


greek oregano


thyme


cilantro


italian parsley


peppermint


spearmint


chives





and they're in pretty good sunlight. And I live in Texas.





One more thing, When a plants leaves turn yellow (I also have spinach and it's leaves keep turning yellow) do you need to trim off the yellow?





Thanks in advance fellow gardeners!

How often do you need to water outside herb plants?
I stick a screwdriver into the ground and if the soil is moist down around the one inch mark, I leave them alone. Yellow spinach leaves could indicate a boron deficiency. You can only correct that when you sow the seeds.
Reply:As with all plants Hon, it depends on your rainfall. It's true that herbs don't like to be waterlogged. If you have no rainfall for a week, a twice-weekly watering would be sufficient.


As for your spinach; most leafy greens do shed some outer leaves and they'll turn yellow to brown. Just pull them off, and into the compost heap with 'em :)

How much to charge as a Nanny?

No comments:

Post a Comment